The plan for the elimination of HCFCs that deplete the ozone layer (Phase I) for the period 2010-2020 was adopted by the Government of Montenegro in October 2010. The plan was prepared by the Nature and Environmental Protection Agency in cooperation with UNIDO with a financial assistance of Multilateral fund for implementation of Montreal protocol. The main goal of the Plan was to facilitate Montenegro to achieve phasing out of HCFC substances, particularly in servicing sector which represent the most part of total consumption.
Plan scheduled freezing of consumption in 2013 at a baseline consumption level which is determined as average annual consumption in 2009 i 2010 at the amount of 13,99 MT (0.8 ODP tons). It is scheduled that in 2020, at the end of HPMP stage I, consumption reduction will be 35% of baseline consumption i.e. consumption have to be lowered to 9.1 Mt (0.5 ODP tones).
In order to achieve the goals envisaged by the plan, the following activities were implemented:
- Initiating the formation of professional organization of RAC sector and the establishment of a National Code of Good Practice,
- Training and certification of service technicians and companies,
- Improving technical equipment in the service sector,
- Improving the refrigerant re-use scheme,
- Training of law enforcement officers (Customs officers and environmental inspectors),
- Institutional strengthening